Knowing how to change a flat tire is one of the most essential maintenance procedures that all drivers should know. To change a tire, you need the following equipment: jack, lug wrench, fully inflated spare tire, and your vehicle’s owner’s manual. All of these items should have come with your car.
Along with those items, it is also recommended that you keep a flashlight, rain poncho, a 2×6-inch piece of wood, gloves, and wheel wedges in your car for when you do need to change your tire.
Follow these steps.
- Move to a safe spot. Get out of traffic and find an open area that is as close to flat as you can get. Make sure you turn on your hazard lights and apply the parking brake.
- Prepare the wheel. Put the wheel wedges in front of or behind your wheel to prevent your car from rolling. You will then remove the hubcap and loosen the lug nuts.
- Use the jack. Place the jack next to the flat tire. Put the piece of wood under the jack to make it more secure. Raise your vehicle until the flat tire is six inches off the ground.
- Remove the lug nuts.
- Remove the tire.
- Put on the spare tire.
- Tighten the lug nuts by hand.
- Lower the vehicle. Use the jack to lower the vehicle until it just touches the ground. Then, tighten the lug nuts as tight as you can with the wrench.
- Lower the vehicle completely.
- Put away all your equipment.
If you have had a flat and need a new tire, come visit us at Larry Jay Mitsubishi.